How do you use technology to enhance your ministry? The Diocese of Orlando Faith Formation Day includes workshops on how to easily and inexpensively incorporate high tech tools into your ministry so you can better connect with your community.
Young and old are captivated by technology trends and now is the time for digital evangelization to become a reality. Faith Formation Day will be held on Sept. 14 at Bishop Moore Catholic High School, 3901 Edgewater Drive, Orlando. Visit orlando.diocesanweb.org/ffd2013 for complete list of workshops, schedule of events and convenient online registration. Here are just some of the workshops that include technology trends:
- Free Internet Applications Margie Garland-Aguilar will show participants free internet tools that can be used in your ministry. It will provide an understanding of the tools and how to apply them for collaboration and sharing of the faith. Also, participants will learn easy ways for the application of these tools.
- The iCatechist: Effectively Using Your iDevice in Parish Catechetical Ministry Sister Caroline Cerveny, SSJ-TOSF, will show you fun and easy ways to use your iDevices to enhance your teaching, faith sharing, and ignite your students’ love of learning their faith, whether you have one device or 111. Learn about free tools that will surely engage your students in the classroom. It’s easy to be an iCatechist.
- Tweets and Posts and Messages…Oh My! Jon Arguello will show you how to evangelize in a social media world. Learn why and how social media is important to a thriving Catholic community. This is an interactive workshop that takes the training wheels off and pushes you down the road.
- Leadership in the Digital Age Father Tim LaBo, PhD, will explore the challenges and needed strategies to lead and gather communities of faith in the current digital environment. Emerging questions such as what constitutes Church and ministry, as well as leadership, will be addressed.
- Using Wikis to Organize your Ministry Ruth E. Manlandro will show you why Wikis are wonderful collaborative tools. You will learn how a team can collaborate and work together from any location to share and improve communication in the team. Learn what a wiki is, how to set one up, and add widgets that increases communication. Hear a Case Study of how the RCIA team at Cathedral Parish in the Diocese of St. Augustine learned how to use a wiki and what was done with it. Explore how Wikis can be used for other ministries.
- Video Evangelization Teresa Peterson will show you how to create short videos of people giving a witness of their faith. The videos can be uploaded to the “Sharing my Faith” App, developed by the Diocese of Orlando. During this session, participants will learn how to shoot, edit, and submit videos. These skills can be used to produce YouTube videos about your parish ministries and also “how to” videos such as “How to Make an Advent Wreath” or “How to Pray the Rosary.” “How to” videos are a big trend on YouTube.